Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Blog Post #13: Hamlet Act 1 Blog

Oh, how I curse this day. My father has told me that of which I do not wish to hear, while encouraging my dearest brother to follow his own wishes. It is ironic, no? But not so unbelievable either that a father would give his blessings and wishes to his only son while forbidding those of his dearest daughter. I fear I must elaborate. Today, during the festivity of King Claudius and Queen Gertrude's marriage celebration, my brother did say to the king, "My thoughts and wishes bend again toward France/And bow them to your gracious leave and pardon. (1.2.55-56)" The king and my father gave only their acceptance and allowed him a gracious leave. Whence we conversed with my father later, he again expressed his thoughts when saying "This above all: to thine own self be true.../Farewell: my blessing season this in thee! (1.2. 78,81)" The irony came when he turned to me to pry upon my love for my dearest Hamlet. "And in that way of caution, I must tell you/You do not understand yourself so clearly (1.3.95-96)." How dare he think that I, as a grown woman, do not understand myself nor the love I have for another. "He hath, my lord, of late made many tenders of his affection to me (1.3.99-100)" I told him, but that seemed to make him despise my love even more. His command was simple, swift, and understood, "Look to't, I charge you:come your ways (1.3.135)." As he is my father, I have no other choice but to obey him and his command, it is not my place to argue such a subject, no matter how much I may love my Hamlet. What is there to do? Do I follow my heart or that of my father's command? Do I act on my love or do I lie in waiting for the day my heart breaks as he marries another?" Oh, fie. Ophelia, lover of Hamlet.

No comments:

Post a Comment